Job Description for Care Staff
The purpose of the care provided by Edinburgh Homecare Staff is to support individuals who choose to remain in the comfort and security of there own homes and to help them live as independent and active lives as possible by supporting them. The tasks carers undertake will be agreed by the client and the Edinburgh Homecare Manager once they have assessed the clients needs. This will be written down in the Care Plan, which will be kept in the clients home. This document will specify your duties for each individual client you work with and it will be your responsibility to follow this and other supporting documents, reports any changes that you or your client identifies.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities
The following list gives examples of the type of duties you may undertake. All of these should be done in a manner which encourages clients towards the maximum degree of independence and activity appropriate to their abilities;
- Assisting getting up in the morning including washing/bathing and dressing and maintaining person appearance.
- Assisting with undressing and getting to bed in the evening.
- Assisting with preparation and cooking of meals, drinks and snacks when necessary.
- Provide assistance with toileting and changing clothes and/or bedding where necessary.
- Maintain and wash clothes and bed linen (which may include soiled laundry when necessary)
- Assist with other tasks of personal daily living.
- Assist and encourage the management of medication or administer where necessary and appropriate, and monitoring health related conditions such as dietary & fluid intake.
- Help clients with mobility difficulties or other physical disabilities, including incontinence.
- Help in the use of aids and other personal equipment.
Other duties & Responsibilities:
- Undertake or supervise the personal care of clients, preparation of appropriate meals, shopping, bill payment & collection of prescriptions and general house hold tasks.
- Ensure clients retain individuality and person dignity by promoting high standards of care and encouraging independence where appropriate.
- Ensure that different cultural needs are catered for sensitively.
- Respect the confidential nature of the work.
- Provide direct care to clients as circumstances require.
- Attend meetings and training courses as required.
- Contribute to an effective system of communication within the team, by discussion and regular team meetings.
- Ensure that the Health and Safety and Equal Opportunities policies are implemented at all times.
Responsibility for Resources:
- Gloves, aprons and all protective work wear must be worn when necessary
- Understanding the clients needs
- An ability to handle emergency situations
- Effective verbal communication skills
- Good inter personal skills
- Ability to work as a team member
- Ability to work under own initiative
- Basic numeracy & literacy skills
- Use of own vehicle
Desired Qualities although not essential as training would be provided:
- Previous experience
- Relevant SVQ qualifications
© COPYRIGHT 2020. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.